|2022 Rome E-Prix I|
The Rome E-Prix Circuit in 2022.
|Date||9 April 2022|
|E-Prix No.||88 (4 of 2021/22)|
|Official Name||2022 ABB Formula E Rome E-Prix I|
|Location|| Circuito Cittadino dell’EUR|
Esposizione Universale Roma, Rome, Italy
|Format||45 min + 1 lap|
|Lap length||3.380 km (2.100 mi)|
|Distance||27 laps / 91.260 km (56.706 mi)|
|Pole Sitter||Stoffel Vandoorne|
|Team||Mercedes-EQ Formula E Team|
|Fastest Lap||1:41.729 on lap 19|
|Mitch Evans||Robin Frijns||Stoffel Vandoorne|
|Winner Team||Jaguar Racing|
|2022 Mexico City E-Prix||2022 Rome E-Prix II|
The 2022 Rome E-Prix I, formally known as the 2022 ABB Formula E Rome E-Prix I, was the fourth race of the 2021/22 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship staged on 9 April 2022 at the Circuito Cittadino dell’EUR in Esposizione Universale Roma, Rome, Italy. The race would be the first staged in two months in the eighth FE season, after the cancellation of the inaugural Cape Town E-Prix and abandoning of plans to stage a race in China in February/March.
Qualifying saw Stoffel Vandoorne defeat Robin Frijns in the final to secure pole position, the Belgian pilot recording a 1:39.151 with a measured run. Vandoorne's path to the final was courtesy of victories against Jean-Éric Vergne and António Félix da Costa in the quarter and semi finals, while Frijns defeated André Lotterer and Nyck de Vries.
The start of the race saw Vandoorne escape off the line to secure the lead, covering of Frijns to deny the Dutchman a lunge into turn four. Behind Vergne tried an ambitious lunge around the outside of da Costa and de Vries to try and grab third, but ultimately faltered, while at the back Dan Ticktum struck the back of Antonio Giovinazzi.
A few moments later and there would be a more significant collision at turn seven, with Edoardo Mortara spinning Oliver Rowland into the barriers. The #30 Mahindra would then partially block the circuit, resulting in several drivers getting stuck before the Brit freed himself, before Maximilian Günther ploughed into the barriers at turn eleven to bring out a Safety Car.
The restart came after five minutes behind the SC, with Vandoorne, Frijns and de Vries immediately streaking clear of da Costa and Vergne. A stalemate emerged soon after, with Frijns keeping Vandoorne honest while watching de Vries in his mirrors, until da Costa began the Attack Mode games a few laps later.
Frijns would be the first to react to da Costa's move, sending the #4 Envision past Vandoorne to secure the lead in a bid to try and build a lead. Vandoorne and de Vries opted to take AM next, both falling behind da Costa while Frijns stayed out for a further tour before taking the boost.
Vandoorne reclaimed the lead when Frijns took his first AM boost, having overtaken da Costa when his boost ended, although it was not long before the Dutchman was back ahead having used AM to blast back ahead. They would again swap places during the second AM phase, although by that stage they had been joined by Mitch Evans, who had quietly climbed through the field in the #9 Jaguar.
Indeed, having kept his AM in reserve the New Zealander would complete two quick-fire moves on Vandoorne and then Frijns to claim the lead before immediately easing away. Vandoorne and Frijns were hence left to fight for second, although with both having an energy deficit they soon found themselves under attack from Vergne as the race entered extra time.
Vandoorne and Vergne eventually found their way past Frijns, by which stage Mortara and Sam Bird in the #10 Jaguar had joined the fight for the podium, da Costa and de Vries having fallen down the order. Vandoorne would almost escape before being reeled back in by Vergne and Frijns, with Frijns completing identical moves into turn fifteen on the Frenchman and the Belgian to reclaim second.
Out front, meanwhile, Evans had time to slow on the penultimate lap to reduce the potential race distance, before cruising to the chequered flag to claim his first win of the campaign. Frijns was five seconds behind in second ahead of Vandoorne, while Vergne claimed fourth ahead of Mortara, although the Swiss pilot served a five second time penalty post-race. He hence ended up in seventh behind Bird and da Costa, Pascal Wehrlein finished eight ahead of Nick Cassidy, while André Lotterer secured the final point in tenth.
The fourth round of the 2021/22 season saw the field arrive at the familiar sight of the Esposizione Universale Roma in Rome, Italy, with the Circuito Cittadino dell’EUR again hosting the Italian capital's annual FE event. The circuit itself was unchanged, barring the relocation of the start line to midway between turns three and four, after the extensive modifications made ahead of the 2021 visit for the series, with the Attack Mode activation zone remaining at turn fifteen. Furthermore, there would be a second race in Rome, as the two planned E-Prix in Cape Town and China in late February/early March were cancelled due to a peak in local Covid cases and a lack of a confirmed venue respectively.
A Porsche Breakthrough
In the Championship Edoardo Mortara had retained the lead in Mexico City after the third round, the Swiss ace having moved onto 43 points for the campaign. Nyck de Vries had retained second, but slipped five behind, while Pascal Wehrlein had ascended to third after his maiden triumph, although was thirteen off the leader. André Lotterer was level with his teammate on 30 points in fourth ahead of Stoffel Vandoorne, with seventeen of the twenty-two drivers having scored in the first three rounds.
In the Teams' Championship ROKiT Venturi Racing had maintained their early lead, and had doubled it to two points. Indeed, Mercedes had kept pace with their customers to remain in second, while the Porsche Formula E Team had shot into third, and just eight off the lead, after their first one-two. DS Techeetah and Envision Racing then completed the top five, with NIO 333 FE Team and Dragon/Penske Autosport the only non-scoring teams.
The full entry list for the 2022 Rome E-Prix I is displayed below:
Qualifying for the 2022 Rome E-Prix I would be conducted according to the knockout format, introduced ahead of season eight. The field would be split into two groups of eleven drivers, based on Championship position, with each group then getting ten minutes on track to complete as many laps as they wished at 220 kW. The fastest eight overall would then proceed to the knockout phase, now running at the maximum 250 kW qualifying mode, with the fastest from group A against the fourth fastest from group B and so on, until four drivers were left.
Those four would move on to the Semi-Final, with the winner of A1/B4 taking on the victor of A2/B3, while the triumphant driver of A3/B2 would take on A4/B1's winner. The winners from those duels would then go into the final, with the winner of that duel taking pole, while the runner-up would start from second, before any grid penalties were applied.
The final qualifying result for the 2022 Rome E-Prix I are outlined below:
|2022 Rome E-Prix I Qualifying Results|
|Lose||4||Robin Frijns||Envision Racing||1:39.500||+0.349s||2|
|I||Win||4||Robin Frijns||Envision Racing||1:38.836||—||F|
|Lose||17||Nyck de Vries||Mercedes||1:38.949||+0.113s||3|
|Lose||13||António Félix da Costa||DS Techeetah||1:38.986||+0.015s||4|
|QF 1||Win||17||Nyck de Vries||Mercedes||1:38.980||—||SF|
|Lose||27||Jake Dennis||Avalanche Andretti||1:39.288||+0.308s||6|
|QF 2||Win||4||Robin Frijns||Envision Racing||1:38.764||—||SF|
|Lose||36||André Lotterer||Porsche Formula E Team||1:39.482||+0.718s||8|
|QF 3||Win||5||Stoffel Vandoorne||Mercedes||1:38.596||—||SF|
|Lose||25||Jean-Éric Vergne||DS Techeetah||1:39.105||+0.509s||5|
|QF 4||Win||13||António Félix da Costa||DS Techeetah||1:39.038||—||SF|
|Lose||94||Pascal Wehrlein||Porsche Formula E Team||1:39.363||+0.325s||7|
|1st||27||Jake Dennis||Avalanche Andretti||1:40.069||—||QF 1||GA|
|2nd||4||Robin Frijns||Envision Racing||1:40.128||+0.059s||QF 2||GA|
|3rd||5||Stoffel Vandoorne||Mercedes||1:40.128||+0.059s||QF 3||GA|
|4th||13||António Félix da Costa||DS Techeetah||1:40.227||+0.158s||QF 4||GB|
|5th||94||Pascal Wehrlein||Porsche Formula E Team||1:40.270||+0.201s||QF 4||GA|
|6th||25||Jean-Éric Vergne||DS Techeetah||1:40.309||+0.240s||QF 3||GB|
|7th||36||André Lotterer||Porsche Formula E Team||1:40.357||+0.288s||QF 2||GB|
|8th||9||Mitch Evans||Jaguar Racing||1:40.375||+0.306s||9||GA|
|9th||17||Nyck de Vries||Mercedes||1:40.458||+0.389s||QF 1||GB|
|10th||48||Edoardo Mortara||ROKiT Venturi Racing||1:40.554||+0.485s||11||GA|
|11th||30||Oliver Rowland||Mahindra Racing||1:40.748||+0.679s||10||GB|
|12th||11||Lucas di Grassi||ROKiT Venturi Racing||1:40.770||+0.701s||12||GB|
|13th||37||Nick Cassidy||Envision Racing||1:40.833||+0.764s||14||GB|
|14th||10||Sam Bird||Jaguar Racing||1:40.836||+0.767s||13||GA|
|15th||29||Alexander Sims||Mahindra Racing||1:40.930||+0.861s||15||GA|
|16th||23||Sébastien Buemi||Nissan e.Dams||1:40.945||+0.876s||17||GA|
|17th||28||Oliver Askew||Avalanche Andretti||1:40.950||+0.881s||19||GA|
|18th||22||Maximilian Günther||Nissan e.Dams||1:40.999||+0.930s||16||GB|
|19th||3||Oliver Turvey||NIO 333 FE Team||1:41.304||+1.235s||18||GB|
|20th||33||Dan Ticktum||NIO 333 FE Team||1:41.410||+1.341s||20||GA|
|21st*||7||Sérgio Sette Câmara||Dragon/Penske Autosport||1:41.570||+1.501s||22*||GB|
|22nd||99||Antonio Giovinazzi||Dragon/Penske Autosport||1:41.756||+1.687s||21||GB|
|Group A 110% Time: 1:50.075|
|Group B 110% Time: 1:50.249|
- * Sette Câmara served a three place grid penalty for speeding during red flag conditions in FP2.
The final classification of the 2022 Rome E-Prix I is displayed below, with the fastest lap setter indicated in italics, and the pole sitter shown in bold.
|2022 Rome E-Prix I Race Result|
|Pos.||No.||Name||Team||Laps||Race Time||Fastest lap||Pts.|
|1st||9||Mitch Evans||Jaguar Racing||27||51:59.632||1:42.340||25|
|2nd||4||Robin Frijns||Envision Racing||27||+5.703s||1:42.500||18|
|4th||25||Jean-Éric Vergne||DS Techeetah||27||+7.553s||1:41.914||12|
|5th||10||Sam Bird||Jaguar Racing||27||+7.877s||1:41.826||10|
|6th||13||António Félix da Costa||DS Techeetah||27||+8.971s||1:41.771||8|
|7th*||48||Edoardo Mortara||ROKiT Venturi Racing||27||+13.356s||1:41.766||6|
|8th||94||Pascal Wehrlein||Porsche Formula E Team||27||+14.216s||1:42.605||4|
|9th||37||Nick Cassidy||Envision Racing||27||+14.543s||1:41.729||3|
|10th||36||André Lotterer||Porsche Formula E Team||27||+19.339s||1:42.814||1|
|11th†||11||Lucas di Grassi||ROKiT Venturi Racing||27||+19.731s||1:41.653†|
|12th||29||Alexander Sims||Mahindra Racing||27||+24.758s||1:42.541|
|13th‡||27||Jake Dennis||Avalanche Andretti||27||+25.029s||1:42.375|
|14th||28||Oliver Askew||Avalanche Andretti||27||+28.039s||1:42.908|
|15th§||7||Sérgio Sette Câmara||Dragon/Penske Autosport||27||+28.645s||1:42.139|
|16th||23||Sébastien Buemi||Nissan e.Dams||27||+28.865s||1:41.982|
|17th||3||Oliver Turvey||NIO 333 FE Team||27||+58.372s||1:41.931|
|18th§||33||Dan Ticktum||NIO 333 FE Team||27||+1:19.306||1:42.661|
|19thƒ||99||Antonio Giovinazzi||Dragon/Penske Autosport||27||+1:37.231||1:42.309|
|Ret♠||17||Nyck de Vries||Mercedes||25||Retired||1:42.643|
|Ret||30||Oliver Rowland||Mahindra Racing||17||Damage||1:43.313|
|Ret||22||Maximilian Günther||Nissan e.Dams||0||Accident||—|
- Indicates a driver was awarded FanBoost during the race.
- * Mortara served a five second time penalty for causing a collision with Rowland.
- † di Grassi set the fastest lap of the race, 1:41.653, but was ineligible to claim the bonus point as he failed to finish in the top ten.
- ‡ Dennis served a five second time penalty for causing a collision with da Costa.
- § Sette Câmara and Ticktum served five second time penalties for dropping too far behind the car in front during the Safety Car period.
- ƒ Giovinazzi served a five second time penalty for dropping too far the car in front during the SC period. Giovinazzi was also handed a 30 second time penalty for exceeding the maximum speed during the Full Course Yellow period.
- ♠ de Vries was handed a three place grid penalty for the 2022 Rome E-Prix II for causing a collision with Wehrlein.
- Third career victory for Mitch Evans.
- Jaguar Racing claimed their fifth win as an entrant.
- Jaguar earned their fifth win as a powertrain supplier.
In-spite of the post-race time penalty Edoardo Mortara had retained the lead in the Championship after the fourth race of the season, with his lead having been reduced to three points. Stoffel Vandoorne, meanwhile, had climbed to second to be the Swiss racer's closest challenger, with Robin Frijns also moving up to claim third. Jean-Éric Vergne and Nyck de Vries then completed the top five, with no new names on the scoresheet after the opening bout in Rome.
In the Teams' Championship Mercedes had moved to the top of the table, the German squad having secured 84 points after the opening four races. ROKiT Venturi, their customer team, had made way for them and slipped to second, ten behind, while Porsche were a further nine behind in third. DS Techeetah were next up ahead of Envision Racing, while Jaguar Racing had moved up to sixth after their first win of the season.
Only point scoring drivers are shown.
Videos and Images:
- 'SEASON 8 CALENDAR: Cape Town, Vancouver and Seoul feature on most expansive Formula E schedule yet', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 08/07/2021), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/july/season-8-calendar-announcement, (Accessed 08/07/2021)
- 'QUALIFYING: VANDOORNE PINCHES POLE AHEAD OF FIRST RACE IN ROME', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/04/2022), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2022/april/qualifying-rome-report, (Accessed 10/04/2022)
- 'RACE REPORT: EVANS STORMS TO VICTORY ON THE STREETS OF ROME', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula 2, 09/04/2022), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2022/april/race-report-rome-round-four, (Accessed 10/04/2022)
- 'UPDATED SEASON 8 CALENDAR AND SPORTING REGULATIONS RATIFIED', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/12/2021), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/december/fia-world-motorsport-council-calendar-update, (Accessed 15/12/2021)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- 'Updated calendar, faster racing and knockout qualifying for Season 8', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/10/2021), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/october/season-8-sporting-update, (Accessed 16/10/2021)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- 'ROUND 4 & 5 - ROME E-PRIX - 8 - 10 APRIL 2022: Decision No. 9', results.fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/04/2022), https://fe-noticeboard.s3.amazonaws.com/07_2021-22/04_R04%20Rome/ABB%20FIA%20Formula%20E%20World%20Championship/036_Doc%2036%20-%20Decision%20No.%209.pdf#pdfjs.action=download, (Accessed 10/04/2022)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- 'ROUND 4 & 5 - ROME E-PRIX - 8 - 10 APRIL 2022: Decision No. 10', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/04/2022), https://fe-noticeboard.s3.amazonaws.com/07_2021-22/04_R04%20Rome/ABB%20FIA%20Formula%20E%20World%20Championship/042_Doc%2042%20-%20Decision%20No.%2010.pdf#pdfjs.action=download, (Accessed 10/04/2022)
- 'ROUND 4 & 5 - ROME E-PRIX - 8 - 10 APRIL 2022: Decision No. 11', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/04/2022), https://fe-noticeboard.s3.amazonaws.com/07_2021-22/04_R04%20Rome/ABB%20FIA%20Formula%20E%20World%20Championship/044_Doc%2044%20-%20Decision%20No.%2011.pdf#pdfjs.action=download, (Accessed 10/04/2022)
- 'ROUND 4 & 5 - ROME E-PRIX - 8 - 10 APRIL 2022: Decision No. 12', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/04/2022), https://fe-noticeboard.s3.amazonaws.com/07_2021-22/04_R04%20Rome/ABB%20FIA%20Formula%20E%20World%20Championship/046_Doc%2046%20-%20Decision%20No.%2012.pdf#pdfjs.action=download, (Accessed 10/04/2022)
- 'ROUND 4 & 5 - ROME E-PRIX - 8 - 10 APRIL 2022: Decision No. 13', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/04/2022), https://fe-noticeboard.s3.amazonaws.com/07_2021-22/04_R04%20Rome/ABB%20FIA%20Formula%20E%20World%20Championship/047_Doc%2047%20-%20Decision%20No.%2013.pdf#pdfjs.action=download, (Accessed 10/04/2022)
- 'ROUND 4 & 5 - ROME E-PRIX - 8 - 10 APRIL 2022: Decision No. 14', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/04/2022), https://fe-noticeboard.s3.amazonaws.com/07_2021-22/04_R04%20Rome/ABB%20FIA%20Formula%20E%20World%20Championship/048_Doc%2048%20-%20Decision%20No.%2014.pdf#pdfjs.action=download, (Accessed 10/04/2022)
- 'ROUND 4 & 5 - ROME E-PRIX - 8 - 10 APRIL 2022: Decision No. 16', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/04/2022), https://fe-noticeboard.s3.amazonaws.com/07_2021-22/04_R04%20Rome/ABB%20FIA%20Formula%20E%20World%20Championship/052_Doc%2052%20-%20Decision%20No.%2016.pdf#pdfjs.action=download, (Accessed 10/04/2022)
- 'ROUND 4 & 5 - ROME E-PRIX - 8 - 10 APRIL 2022: Decision No. 15', results.fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/04/2022), https://fe-noticeboard.s3.amazonaws.com/07_2021-22/04_R04%20Rome/ABB%20FIA%20Formula%20E%20World%20Championship/050_Doc%2050%20-%20Decision%20No.%2015.pdf#pdfjs.action=download, (Accessed 10/04/2022)