|Name||SAUDIA Diriyah E-Prix|
|Location||Ad Diriyah, Saudi Arabia|
|Circuit||Ad Diriyah Street Circuit|
|First Race||2018 Ad Diriyah E-Prix|
|Most Recent Results|
|Name||2019 SAUDIA Diriyah E-Prix II|
|Pole||Alexander Sims 1:11.476|
|Alexander Sims||Lucas di Grassi||Stoffel Vandoorne|
|Fastest lap||António Félix da Costa 1:12.481|
The Ad Diriyah E-Prix is an ABB FIA Formula E Championship race, staged in the town of Ad Diriyah, frequently referred to simply as Diriyah (الدرعية in Arabic), in Saudi Arabia. The city if Ad Diriyah, a former home of the Saudi royal family, was the first middle-eastern host of the Formula E Championship when it staged the 2018 Ad Diriyah E-Prix on the 15 December 2018.
The area around Ad Diriyah was at the heart of the Expedition of Muhammad ibn Maslamah which took place here in July, 627AD, becoming a stronghold in the heart of Saudi Arabia. However, the first proper reference to Diriyah as a town appeared upon its foundation in 1446-7 by Mani' Al-Muraydi, an ancestor of the Saudi royal family. From then Diriyah would grow to become the principle town in the Nejd, before forming the centre of Muhammad ibn Saud's regime in 1744.
From Capital to Culture
Diriyah became an economic powerhouse in Arabia as the Saud regime expanded, only to be severely destroyed twice after the Ottoman-Saudi War of 1811 to 1818. The city was steadily rebuilt after 1824, and again after 1902, although its status as the Saudi capital was removed to nearby Riyadh as the ancient structures disappeared. The new town of Diriyah was formed around the surviving ruins of old city, which subsequently became a major tourist attraction in the area.
Formula E History
Ahead of the 2018 Berlin E-Prix it was revealed that Saudi Arabia had signed a deal to host the opening round of the 2018/19 ABB FIA Formula E Championship, with the capital of Riyadh listed as host. This was subsequently changed to Ad Diriyah on the official calendar, released ahead of the 2018 Zürich E-Prix, before the circuit itself was revealed in September 2018.
A full list of records for the Ad Diriyah E-Prix are outlined below, including a list of race winners.
Below is a list of all of the winners of ePrix held in Ad Diriyah E-Prix:
|Ad Diriyah E-Prix E-Prix Winners List|
|2018/19||2018 SAUDIA Ad Diriyah E-Prix||Ad Diriyah Street Circuit||15 December 2018||António Félix da Costa||Report|
|2019/20||2019 SAUDIA Diriyah E-Prix I||Ad Diriyah Street Circuit||22 November 2019||Sam Bird||Report|
|2019/20||2019 SAUDIA Diriyah E-Prix II||Ad Diriyah Street Circuit||23 November 2019||Alexander Sims||Report|
Videos and Images:
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- 'ABB FIA Formula E Championship Season 5', info.fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/06/2018), http://info.fiaformulae.com/season-5-calendar/, (Accessed 07/06/2018)
- 'Formula E to race in Riyadh for opening round of Season 5', fiaformuale.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/05/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/may/formula-e-to-race-in-riyadh-for-opening-round-of-season-5/, (Accessed 17/05/2018)
- 'Formula E signs Saudi Arabian Airlines as official Airline Partner', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 25/09/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/september/formula-e-signs-saudi-arabian-airlines-as-official-airline-partner/, (Accessed 25/09/2018)
- '2019/20 calendar revealed: London and Seoul star in sixth Formula E campaign', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/06/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/june/2019-20-season-calendar-revealed, (Accessed 14/06/2019)
- 'Audi-powered Bird clinches first win in Saudi, leading Porsche and Mercedes', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 22/11/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/november/race-report-diriyah-2019, (Accessed 22/11/2019)
- 'Sims clinches first win in Saudi showdown, BMW scoops one-two finish ', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/11/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/november/race-report-diriyah-2019-2, (Accessed 23/11/2019)
|Formula E Host Cities|
|Mexico City||Montreal||New York|
|Buenos Aires||Santiago||São Paulo||Punta del Este|
|Donington Park||Circuit Ricardo Tormo|