|D.O.B.||15 October 1983|
|Date of Death||Unknown|
|Début||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|Formula E Career|
|Total Entries||21 (21 Starts)|
Bruno Senna (born 15 October 1983), nephew of the legendary Ayrton Senna, is a former driver in the FIA Formula E Championship, who competed for Mahindra Racing during the 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons. Although Senna started the season without points, a strong mid-season, and Championship affecting drive in the season finale saw the Brazilian finish in the top ten.
Season two would see Senna claim several points finishes, before ending the season on a high with a podium in the 2016 London ePrix I. Yet, having been outscored by teammate Nick Heidfeld, it would be the Brazilian who left the team at the end of the season, replaced by youngster Felix Rosenqvist.
Senna first became a professional racing driver in 2004, when he competed in the Formula BMW UK Championship, before stepping up into British Formula Three. From this, Senna obtained a drive in the GP2 Series, taking second place in the championship in his second season in 2008. After a test with Honda F1 in 2008, Senna switched to endurance racing, before moving to Formula One with the new HRT F1 team, alongside Karun Chandhok.
Formula E History
Senna was announced alongside Karun Chandhok as a driver for Mahindra Racing in May 2014, one of the last driver pairings to be announced for the 2014/15 FIA Formula E Championship. His debut came at the season opening Beijing ePrix, a race in which he became the first retirement.
He improved throughout the season, managing to take fifth place at the 2015 Buenos Aires ePrix, matching team mate Chandhok's tally on eighteen points for the season. His season then flat-lined as Formula E moved to Europe, retiring from the 2015 Monaco ePrix on the first lap after being involved in a huge first lap accident. He would finish the next three ePrix outside of the points, before becoming an instrumental factor in the Drivers' Championship at the season finale in London.
Senna battled with Sébastien Buemi throughout the second half of the race, with Buemi needing the fifth place (that turned into fourth when Stéphane Sarrazin was penalised) which Senna occupied to win the title. It came to the penultimate corner of the season, when Buemi looked to have snatched the position, before Senna squeezed Buemi off the racing line and pulled away to take fourth, ultimately costing Buemi the Championship by one point.
Senna was retained by Mahindra for the 2015/16 season, getting partnered with another F1 refugee in the form of Nick Heidfeld, who moved from Venturi. It would be a pointless start to the season for Senna in Beijing, although he bounced back strongly in Putrajaya to claim his first points of the season. A retirement would follow in the 2015 Punta del Este ePrix, before Senna started a scoring run which would see him claim points in every race to the end of the season.
After two tenth place finishes after the turn of the year, Senna claimed another fifth place in the 2016 Long Beach ePrix, having threatened the podium positions after the stops. A ninth place finish followed in Paris, before the Brazilian snatched fastest lap in the 2016 Berlin ePrix, the first time he would claim the Visa Fastest Lap trophy. What followed in London would be Senna's strongest performance of the season, with the Brazilian putting together an excellent qualifying session before staying in contact with Nicolas Prost throughout the 2016 London ePrix I to claim a maiden podium finish. A slightly disappointing sixth place followed the following day, with Senna ending the season with 52 points, one fewer than teammate Heidfeld.
Full Formula E Record
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Bruno Senna's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E Entries
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Bruno Senna during their FE career:
|Bruno Senna's Overall Formula E Record|
|2014/15||Mahindra Racing||5||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||10th||40|
|2015/16||Mahindra Racing||21||Mahindra M2Electro||11th||52|
Below is a table showing Bruno Senna's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ph-stop, 'Bruno Senna Canada 2011', wikipedia.org, (WikiMedia, 09/06/2011), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Senna#mediaviewer/File:Bruno_Senna_canada_2011.jpg, (Accessed 02/07/2015)
- 'Drivers' Club: Bruno Senna', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/drivers-club/bruno-senna.aspx (Accessed 02/07/2015)
- 'BUEMI AND DI GRASSI CHARGE UP THE ORDER, BUT IT’S PROST WHO LEADS THE WAY', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/prost-wins-in-style-as-di-grassi-inches-closer-to-title/, (Accessed 03/07/2016)
- 'ROSENQVIST AND HEIDFELD CONFIRMED AT MAHINDRA: SWEDISH DRIVER FELIX ROSENQVIST JOINS NICK HEIDFELD AT MAHINDRA RACING FOR 2016/17 SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 22/08/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/august/rosenqvist-and-heidfeld-confirmed-at-mahindra/, (Accessed 22/08/2016)
- 'Lucas di Grassi snatches win after dramatic last corner crash', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/09/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/september/lucas-di-grassi-snatches-win-after-dramatic-last-corner-crash.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- 'Poleman Buemi doubles up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/05/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/may/poleman-buemi-doubles-up.aspx, (Accessed 09/05/2015)
- 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- 'Nick Heidfeld joins Senna at Mahindra Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/nick-heidfeld-to-drive-for-mahindra-racing.aspx, (Accessed 10/08/2015)
- 'Di Grassi keeps his cool to win in Putrajaya', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/11/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/di-grassi-keeps-his-cool-to-win-in-putrajaya.aspx, (Accessed 22/11/2015)
- 'Di Grassi's Shoreline sensation', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/di-grassi-s-shoreline-sensation/, (Accessed 03/04/2016)
- 'Buemi win cuts di Grassi's lead to just one point', fiaformula.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/buemi-win-cuts-di-grassi-s-lead-to-just-one-point/, (Accessed 21/05/2016)