|Circuit Ricardo Tormo|
|Name||Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo|
|Location||Cheste, Valencia, Spain|
|Length||3.376 km (2.098 mi)|
|First Race||2021 Valencia E-Prix I|
|Last Race||2021 Valencia E-Prix II|
|Alex Lynn||António Félix da Costa||Nyck de Vries|
The Circuit Ricardo Tormo, otherwise officially known as the Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo, is a Spanish racing circuit, located near the city of Valencia. Also known the Circuit de Valencia, but named for famed Spanish MotoGP Champion Ricardo Tormo, the circuit became the official host of the annual Pre-Season collective test ahead of the 2017/18 season.
The Circuit Ricardo Tormo was subsequently selected to host two E-Prix during the 2020/21 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship, with a modified version of the Nation Circuit hosting the inaugural Valencia E-Prix on 24 April 2021.
The Circuit Ricardo Tormo is one of the newer circuits in the Motorsport world, having officially opened on the 19th September 1999. Originally built to host MotoGP, and named in honour of Spain's greatest motorcyclist Ricardo Tormo, the Circuit de Valencia has since grown to be one of Spain's biggest sporting venues.
Bikes and Beyond
Having been built in a near-natural amphitheatre, the Circuit Ricardo Tormo quickly became notable for the fact that everyone of its 65,000 grand stand seats could see the entire circuit. Further expansions to the seating have seen the capacity rise to over 120,000, while warm winter temperatures mean that, according to the owners, the circuit could be used for 95% of the year. To cement this, the organisers have secured a long-term contract with MotoGP, and have hosted the final race of every season since 2002.
The circuit would quickly become a favourite for Formula One teams too, with frequent visits to the circuit made in the early 2000s for winter testing. When private testing was largely outlawed from F1, the circuit survived, picking up contracts for major series such as GT1, Formula 3 and the DTM, although the circuit continued to be dominated by the motorcycle calendar. A solitary visit by the ELMS was also made, while the World Touring Car Championship had a relatively long stay in the mid to late 2000s.
Formula E History
Donington Park had been established as the Formula E headquarters in 2014, and had been used as the testing centre for the series across all three seasons. However, a desire from the teams to test in warmer climates, on a circuit closer to one typically used during the season, saw the FIA agree to move the series' only pre-season test. The swap to the Circuit Ricardo Tormo would be announced in September 2017, with the first Valencia Test to be held on the 2nd to the 5th October, 2017.
The addition of a chicane to the main start/finish straight would allow the FE cars to charge their batteries on the brakes, before sweeping into the original turn one "Aspar". A blast up to the hairpin "Doohan" follows, before a kink leads the cars into the 90° "Nico Terol".
Two long apex turns follow, with another kink bringing the cars into the shortcut that forms the National Circuit. A long chicane forms the shortcut, before the cars rejoin the full circuit half way around the 180° turn 13, which tightens into the final turn, "Adrián Campos".
E-Prix Update 2021
Ahead of the Circuit Ricardo Tormo's debut as an official E-Prix circuit the circuit layout was modified to both adapt the circuit more towards FE's needs, but also to make it different from the circuit used during testing. To achieve this a service road was used to link turn eight on the full circuit to the final sector, creating a tight hairpin corner that became turn nine, followed by another sharp right of turn ten. The drivers would then exit the final corner before entering a right-left chicane, which then eased back onto the start/finish straight.
A full list of records for the Circuit Ricardo Tormo are outlined below, including a list of race winners.
Below is a list of all of the winners of E-Prix held at the Circuit Ricardo Tormo:
|Circuit Ricardo Tormo Winners List|
|2020/21||2021 DHL Valencia E-Prix I||24 April 2021||Nyck de Vries||Report|
|2020/21||2021 DHL Valencia E-Prix II||25 April 2021||Jake Dennis||Report|
The race-by-race records for the Circuit Ricardo Tormo are outlined below:
|Circuit Ricardo Tormo Race-by-Race Records|
|Circuit Ricardo Tormo - 3.376 km (2021)|
|2021 DHL Valencia E-Prix I||Antonio Felix da Costa||1:26.522||Robin Frijns||1:39.611||Nyck de Vries||48:20.547|
|2021 DHL Valencia E-Prix II||Jake Dennis||1:28.548||Alex Lynn||1:30.263||Jake Dennis||46:32.002|
Outlined below are the circuit records for test that have been staged at the Circuit Ricardo Tormo:
|Circuit Ricardo Tormo Circuit Records|
|Circuit Ricardo Tormo National Circuit - 3.094 km (2017)|
|2017/18||2017 Valencia Test||2 - 5 October 2017||Oliver Turvey||1:21.822||Report|
|2018/19||2018 Valencia Test||16 - 19 October 2018||António Félix da Costa||1:16.977||Report|
|Circuit Ricardo Tormo National Circuit - 3.090 km (2019)|
|2019/20||2019 Valencia Test||15 - 18 October 2019||Maximilian Günther||1:15.087||Report|
|Circuit Ricardo Tormo National Circuit - 3.138 km (2020)|
|2020/21||2020 Valencia Test||28 November - 1 December 2020||Maximilian Günther||1:11.760||Report|
Videos and Images:
- 'Circuit Ricardo Tormo: History', circuitvalencia.com, (Circuit Valencia, 2017), http://www.circuitvalencia.com/history/?lang=en, (Accessed 22/09/2017)
- 'Valencia pre-season test dates confirmed', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 11/09/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/valencia-pre-season-test-dates-confirmed/, (Accessed 11/09/2017)
- 'Second set of 2020/21 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship races announced', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/01/2021), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/january/calendar-update-2020-21, (Accessed 28/01/2021)
- 'Formula-e to build new headquarters at Donington Park', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/01/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/january/formula-e-to-build-new-headquarters-at-donington-park.aspx, (Accessed 23/04/2015)
- Sam Smith, 'FORMULA E’S VERSION OF VALENCIA TRACK LAYOUT REVEALED', the-race.com, (The Race, 02/04/2021), https://the-race.com/formula-e/formula-es-version-of-valencia-track-layout-revealed/, (Accessed 17/04/2021)
- 'DHL becomes Race Title Partner for the 2021 DHL Valencia E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 16/04/2021), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/april/dhl-valencia-e-prix, (Accessed 17/04/2021)
- 'Mercedes-EQ's Nyck de Vries wins crazy DHL Valencia E-Prix Round 5, fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/04/2021), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/april/valencia-e-prix-round-5-report-de-vries, (Accessed 24/04/2021)
- 'CALENDAR UPDATE: 2020/21 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship, fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 26/03/2021), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/march/season-7-calendar-update, (Accessed 27/03/2021)
- 'Jake Dennis takes maiden win with perfectly judged lights-to-flag drive in the DHL Valencia E-Prix Round 6', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 25/04/2021), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/april/valencia-e-prix-round-6-report, (Accessed 25/04/2021)
- 'Turvey finishes pre-season testing on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 05/10/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/october/turvey-finishes-pre-season-testing-on-top/, (Accessed 05/10/2017)
- 'Dates revealed and doors open to the public for Valencia pre-season testing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 22/08/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/august/dates-revealed-and-doors-open-to-the-public-for-valencia-pre-season-testing/, (Accessed 23/08/2018)
- 'BMW fastest again with da Costa toping the timesheets', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/10/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/october/bmw-fastest-again-with-da-costa-toping-the-timesheets/, (Accessed 19/10/2018)
- Alex Kalinauckas, 'Valencia to continue as Formula E pre-season test venue', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 02/09/2019), https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/valencia-pre-season-testing/4527885/, (Accessed 02/09/2019)
- Sam Smith, 'Formula E: Guenther Sets Fastest Lap of Valencia Testing', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 18/10/2019), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/guenther-sets-fastest-lap-of-valencia-testing/, (Accessed 22/10/2019)
- Sam Smith, 'FORMULA E COMMITS TO VALENCIA PRE-SEASON TEST DATES', the-race.com, (The Race, 02/10/2020), https://the-race.com/formula-e/formula-e-commits-to-test-at-valencia/, (Accessed 02/10/2020)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
|FIA Formula E Championship Circuits|
|Ad Diriyah Street Circuit • Circuito Cittadino dell’EUR • Circuit Ricardo Tormo • Circuit de Monaco • Autódromo Miguel E. Abed • Brooklyn Street Circuit • ExCeL E-Prix Circuit • Tempelhofring|
|Former Circuits: Africa/Europe|
|Battersea Park Street Circuit • Bern Street Circuit • Circuit des Invalides • Circuit Moulay El Hassan • Karl-Marx-Allee Circuit • Zürich Street Circuit|
|Former Circuits: Asia|
|Beijing Olympic Green Circuit • Haitang Bay Circuit • Hong Kong Harbourfront Circuit • Moscow Street Circuit • Putrajaya Street Circuit|
|Former Circuits: North America|
|Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez • Biscayne Bay Street Circuit • Long Beach Street Circuit • Montréal Street Circuit|
|Former Circuits: South America|
|Forestal Park Circuit • Parque O'Higgins Circuit • Playa Brava Beach Circuit • Puerto Madero Circuit|
|Jakarta Street Circuit • Seoul Street Circuit|
|Circuit Ricardo Tormo • Donington Park|