|D.o.B.||12 January 1987|
|Date of Death||Unknown|
|Début||2017 Hong Kong ePrix I|
|First Win||2019 Hong Kong E-Prix|
|Formula E Career|
|Entries||56 (55 Starts)|
|Team||ROKiT Venturi Racing|
Edoardo Mortara (born 12 January 1987 in Geneva, Switzerland) is a Swiss-Italian racing driver who competes in the 2021/22 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship for ROKiT Venturi Racing. A veteran of the DTM and various junior formulae, Mortara's progress in FE was part of the assessments being conducted by Mercedes prior to their entry into Formula E in 2019/20, although the Swiss racer was not selected for the Mercedes-EQ Formula E Team.
Mortara made his debut during the 2017/18 season for the Venturi team, and would narrowly miss claiming victory in only his second race at the Hong Kong E-Prix. He would go on to have a rather disappointing season based on his early form, securing a handful of points finishes before missing three of the final four races due to his final DTM commitments.
2018/19 was a stronger campaign for Mortara, with the Swiss racer claiming his maiden FE victory at the 2019 Hong Kong E-Prix. However, he would still finish in a lowly fourteenth in the Championship with 52 points, having failed to score at all after his win.
Mortara was retained by Venturi for 2019/20 as they became a customer Mercedes team, with Felipe Massa remaining as his teammate. The Swiss ace would, however, have a fairly quiet season, finishing mid-table having failed to threaten the podium barring a fourth place finish in Diriyah.
For 2020/21 Mortara effectively became Venturi's lead driver, with the Swiss racer partnered by Venturi junior Norman Nato. Mortara subsequently became a title contender in what was an ultra competitive season, scoring his second career victory in Puebla as he finished as runner-up to Nyck de Vries.
- 1 Background
- 2 Formula E History
- 3 Full Formula E Record
- 4 References
Mortara began his career in karting, before stepping up into the Formula Renault Championship in his native Italy in 2006. It proved to be an excellent debut season for the Italian, with Mortara ending the year as the best placed rookie, and a spot in the Formula Three Euro Series. It was another strong debut season for Mortara, with the Italian once again ending as the best rookie having claimed two wins.
Slipping the Ladder
Mortara continued on in the Euro Series in 2008, dominating the early season races, only to fall shy of the title after a poor second half of the season. Regardless, second in the Euroseries earned Mortara a spot in the Macau Grand Prix at the end of the year, with the Italian finishing a stunning second on his Macau debut. His efforts also earned him a seat in the GP2 Series, as well as a run in the GP2 Asia Series that winter.
Mortara would perform well at the start of his maiden GP2 Series season, fending off several future Formula One drivers to claim victory in only his second race. However, the Italian would have a relatively poor season after that, ultimately losing his seat in the Series that put him back down to the Euro Series for 2010. Despite his misfortune, Mortara would end the 2009 season with victory in Macau, a sure sign of things to come from the Italian in 2010.
2010 proved to be the year of Mortara in Formula Three across the board, the Italian sweeping to the Euroseries title with seven wins, before going on to win in Macau for a second successive season. Those wins earned Mortara a spot in the DTM with Audi, albeit in a privately entered car. His debut DTM season in 2011 would go relatively well, with Mortara ending the season in the top ten overall come seasons end.
With a year's experience, Mortara showed what he could do in the DTM in 2012, taking two wins en-route to fifth in the Championship standings come seasons end. A dire 2013 campaign followed, Mortara only claiming three points all season, although the Italian returned to Macau to win the GT Cup race at the end of the season. His efforts with Audi in the GT Cup at Macau earned the Italian a full factory contract, with Mortara duly moved into one of the "works" DTM cars for 2014.
Fifth place would be the reward for Mortara at the end of the 2014 season, with the Italian having to wait until the 2015 season to taste victory in the DTM again. 2016 proved far more to Mortara's liking, the Italian claiming five wins to become a genuine title threat, although he would ultimately fall shy at the season finale after contact with several Audi teammates. Friction between Mortara and Audi would ultimately strain their relationship to breaking point at the end of the year, with the Italian leaving the Ingolstadt squad to join arch-rivals Mercedes.
An AMG Association
A full Mercedes factory contract for Mortara in 2017 allowed the Italian to expand his horizions, with Mortara competing in the DTM, Blancpain GT Series and select rounds in the ADAC GT Masters. Although his debut season for Mercedes in DTM would not go to plan, Mortara's exploits elsewhere, as well as his single-seater history, put Mortara at the top of Mercedes' driver list once they revealed their intention to join Formula E.
Formula E History
Mortara's first taste of Formula E came at the 2017 Valencia Test ahead of the 2017/18 season, with the Italian testing for the Venturi Formula E Team alongside James Rossiter, Michael Benyahia and fellow Mercedes and DTM racer Maro Engel. Ultimately, Venturi's entire test was ruined by gearbox troubles, restricting all four drivers in the amount of mileage they could cover, although both Engel and Mortara stood out from the others. Those two were duly announced as Venturi's drivers a few weeks after the test, prompting several rumours that Mercedes would take over the Venturi effort when they joined Formula E in 2019/20.
The Swiss Connection: 2017/18
Mortara's debut in Hong Kong would be among the more successful in FE history, with the Swiss racer fighting to finish seventh in the first race. He then smashed all expectations in qualifying for the second E-Prix of the weekend, starting from second before leading the majority of the race. Indeed, Mortara's only error during his maiden FE weekend would be to pursue the fastest lap, which saw the Swiss racer throw away his maiden victory with a spin, before ultimately recovering to second.
Two non-scores for Mortara followed in Marrakech and Santiago, before the Swiss racer battled to eighth in Mexico City. Indeed, it seemed that Mortara was having an erratic debut season, with the Swiss racer failing to score in Punta del Este, before scoring in one of his two "home" races in Rome. Another non-score followed in Paris, before Mortara skipped the Berlin E-Prix to race in the DTM.
Unfortunately for Mortara his return race in Zürich, which was also his second "home" round, would not go well, with the Swiss racer retiring early on with suspension damage. That prompted Mortara to skip the season finale in New York City to race in the DTM once again, with Tom Dillmann scoring a fourth place with Mortara's car in the first race. Indeed, Mortara's decision not to race also cost him in the Championship, with his teammate Engel sneaking ahead to leave the Swiss racer in thirteenth.
Mercedes Machinations: 2018/19
Mortara would be one of six Mercedes affiliated drivers to be considered for one of three available seats at Venturi or the new HWA Racelab team for the 2018/19 season, with Mortara the favourite to partner Felipe Massa at the former. He was duly announced as Massa's teammate ahead of the 2018 Valencia Test, with the pair fairly evenly matched across the three days, although the F1 veteran was marginally faster. Mortara would go on to have a fairly quiet start to the season, failing to score points in either the Ad Diriyah nor Marrakech E-Prix.
Indeed, Mortara would have to wait until the third round in Santiago to kickstart his season, fighting to fourth behind Daniel Abt. One race later and Mortara secured his second FE podium finish in Mexico City, joining the last minute fight for victory between Lucas di Grassi and Pascal Wehrlein. The following round in Hong Kong proved even better, with Mortara briefly fighting for victory with André Lotterer and Sam Bird, before the two tangled ahead of him. Although Bird crossed the line first and celebrated on the podium the result was later amended with the Brit receiving a five second time penalty, handing the win to Mortara.
Mortara's fortunes took a nose dive from that moment on, however, with the Swiss ace getting hit with a time penalty for failing to use Attack Mode for a second time. Three retirements in a row would follow in Rome, Paris and Monaco, the first caused by a driveshaft failure. That latter two were caused by accidents, the first in Paris enough to see Mortara handed a grid penalty for the Monaco E-Prix.
Mortara's pointless run continued at the 2019 Berlin E-Prix, although the Swiss racer would at least see the chequered flag in eleventh place. Yet, at the following round in Bern Mortara would once again find himself on the sidelines, forced to watch the end of his home race after picking up a brake issue. Mortara's season concluded with a further two retirements in the final two races in New York City, both the result of contact.
Come the end of the season Mortara had scored 52 points, the most of any of the four Venturi powered drivers, although that was only good enough for fourteenth in the Championship.
Venturi Vanguard: 2019/20
The Runner Up: 2020/21
The Crusading Customer: 2021/22
Mortara and Venturi would remain together for a fifth straight season in 2021/22, with the Swiss pilot getting another new teammate in the form of 2016/17 Champion Lucas di Grassi, as Venturi eyed up challenging suppliers Mercedes for the 2021/22 title.
Full Formula E Record
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Edoardo Mortara's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E Entries
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Edoardo Mortara during their FE career:
|Edoardo Mortara's Overall Formula E Record|
|2017/18||Venturi Formula E Team||4||Venturi VM200-FE-03||13th||29|
|2018/19||Venturi Formula E Team||48||Venturi VFE 05||14th||52|
|2019/20||Venturi Racing||48||Mercedes-Benz EQ Silver Arrow 01||14th||41|
|2020/21||ROKiT Venturi Racing||48||Mercedes-EQ Silver Arrow 02||2nd||92|
|2021/22||ROKiT Venturi Racing||48||Mercedes-EQ Silver Arrow 02||2nd||99|
Below is a table showing Edoardo Mortara's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
|3rd||Third||DNS||Did Not Start|
|7th||Points Finish||16th||Non-Points Finish|
|NC||Not Classified||CAN||Race Cancelled|
|INJ||Driver Injured||Italics||Fastest Lap|
|Bold||Pole Position||G||Group Fastest Lap|
Videos and Images:
- Stefan Brending, 'File:2014 DTM HockenheimringII Edoardo Mortara by 2eight 8SC3371 (cropped).jpg', commons.wikimedia.org, (WikiMedia: Commons, 18/10/2014), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2014_DTM_HockenheimringII_Edoardo_Mortara_by_2eight_8SC3371_(cropped).jpg, (Accessed 25/04/2018)
- 'Lucas di Grassi joins Edo Mortara to complete ROKiT Venturi Racing's Season 8 line-up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/09/2021), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/september/venturi-line-up-season-8-di-grassi-mortara, (Accessed 13/11/2021)
- 'Mortara and Engel confirmed at Venturi', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/10/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/october/mortara-and-engel-confirmed-at-venturi/, (Accessed 20/10/2017)
- Scott Mitchell, 'Abt stripped of maiden Formula E win', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 03/12/2017), https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/abt-stripped-maiden-fe-win-hong-kong-985435/, (Accessed 03/12/2017)
- 'Bird victorious in furious battle for first on Hong Kong Harbourfront', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/03/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/march/race-report-hong-kong-2019, (Accessed 11/03/2019)
- 'Frijns wins while Vergne claims historic two-time Championship title in New York', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/07/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/july/race-report-nyc-2-2019, (Accessed 15/07/2019)
- Sam Smith, 'Wolff Confirms Unchanged Venturi Lineup for 2019-20', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 14/05/2019), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/wolff-confirms-unchanged-venturi-lineup-for-2019-20/, (Accessed 19/05/2019)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- 'Norman Nato joins Edo Mortara at ROKiT Venturi Racing for Season 7', fiaformulae.com, (ABB FIA Formula E, 16/10/2020), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2020/october/venturi-drivers-mortara-nato-season-7, (Accessed 16/10/2020)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- 'Edoardo Mortara', wikpedia.org, (WikiMedia, 09/10/2017), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edoardo_Mortara, (Accessed 24/10/2017)
- 'Mercedes-Benz to enter Formula E in Season 6', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/07/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/july/mercedes-benz-to-enter-formula-e-in-season-6/, (Accessed 25/07/2017)
- 'New faces to make Formula E debut in Valencia', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 01/10/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/new-faces-to-make-formula-e-debut-in-valencia/, (Accessed 01/10/2017)
- 'Bird clinches victory in Hong Kong', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/12/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/december/bird-clinches-victory-in-hong-kong/, (Accessed 16/12/2017)
- 'Abt finally clinches first victory in Mexico City', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/abt-finally-clinches-first-victory-in-mexico-city/, (Accessed 04/03/2018)
- 'Bird claims historic victory in Rome', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/04/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/april/bird-claims-historic-victory-in-rome/, (Accessed 14/04/2018)
- 'Abt leads Audi one-two win at home race in Berlin', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/05/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/may/abt-leads-audi-one-two-win-at-home-race-in-berlin/, (Accessed 19/05/2018)
- 'Di Grassi clinches first season victory in historic Swiss race', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/06/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/june/di-grassi-clinches-first-season-victory-in-historic-swiss-race/, (Accessed 11/06/2018)
- 'Di Grassi victorious as Vergne clinches championship crown', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/di-grassi-victorious-as-vergne-clinches-championship-crown/, (Accessed 15/07/2018)
- Sam Smith, 'Mortara, Paffett Favorites for Final Seat at Venturi', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 24/07/2018), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/mortara-paffett-favorites-to-partner-massa-at-venturi/, (Accessed 25/07/2018)
- 'Valencia Testing: Results Booklet', fiaformulae.alkamelsystems.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/10/2018), http://fiaformulae.alkamelsystems.com/Results/04_2018-19/00_Valencia%20Testing/92_ABB%20FIA%20Formula%20E%20Championship/Valencia%20Testing%20Booklet.pdf, (Accessed 19/10/2018)
- 'Mahindra's d'Ambrosio made up with manic win in Marrakesh', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 12/01/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/january/race-report---2019-marrakesh, (Accessed 12/01/2019)
- 'Bird storms to victory in sweltering Santiago showdown', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 26/01/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/january/race-report-santiago-2019, (Accessed 27/01/2019)
- 'Madness in Mexico sees di Grassi clinch miraculous win in epic photo finish', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 16/02/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/february/race-report-mexico-2019, (Accessed 17/02/2019)
- 'Vergne victorious in Sanya showdown, championship blown wide open', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/03/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/march/race-report-sanya-2019, (Accessed 23/03/2019)
- 'Emotional maiden win for Evans in Rome, Lotterer second', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/04/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/april/race-report-rome-2019, (Accessed 13/04/2019)
- 'Frijns emerges victorious in frantic French E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 27/04/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/april/race-report-paris-2019, (Accessed 27/04/2019)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- 'Vergne victorious in frantic battle for Bern ahead of Championship finale', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 22/06/2019), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/june/race-report-bern-2019, (Accessed 23/06/2019)
- Sam Smith, 'Mercedes-Benz EQ Completes First Test', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 03/04/2019), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/mercedes-benz-eq-completes-first-test/, (Accessed 12/09/2019)
- 'Mortara to race alongside Massa at VENTURI', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 11/09/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/september/mortara-to-race-alongside-massa-at-venturi/, (Accessed 11/09/2018)
|The DTM Wiki has information on Edoardo Mortara! Click here to find out more.|