|Official Name||FIA Extreme E Championship|
|Announced||31 January 2019|
|Constructors||Spark Racing Technologies|
The Extreme E Championship, alternatively known as the XE Championship or simply XE, is an off-road racing series set to debut in 2021 as a sister-series to the ABB FIA Formula E Championship. Organised by Formula E Holdings and overseen by Alejandro Agag and Gil de Ferran, XE will see teams battle across a variety of locations using electrically powered SUVs, with manufacturers encouraged to build their own powertrains.
FE chassis suppliers Spark Racing Technologies were awarded the contract to supply XE with chassis, with the first public demonstration of the XE car, dubbed the Odyssey 21 staged at the Goodwood Festival of Speed on 5 July 2019. The series was also set to be broadcast in a "docu-sport" format with the winner kept secret until the official broadcast, although this plan was partially dropped in May 2019. The series also purchased RMS St. Helena to serve as the series' global headquarters, with the former Royal Mail cargo liner undergoing a major refit ahead of the inaugural 2021 Extreme E Championship.
FE entrants Venturi Automobiles were the first manufacturer to officially announce that they would join XE on the 7 May 2019. Their announcement was followed by two from ABT Sportsline and HWA Racelab, whom made their announcements after the Odyssey 21's maiden public outing at Goodwood in July 2019.
Fox Sports were the first broadcaster to secure a deal to televise the series, with a multi-year contract signed in July 2019 to show XE in the United States.
Images and Videos:
- Jake Kilshaw, 'Extreme E Launched in London for 2021 Debut', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 31/01/2019), https://www.motorsport.com/offroad/news/formula-e-to-run-extreme-e-suv-series/3167320/, (Accessed 31/01/2019)
- Alex Kalinauckas, 'Spark named as Extreme E base chassis provider', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 23/04/2019), https://www.motorsport.com/extreme-e/news/spark-extreme-e-chassis/4374583/?nrt=6052, (Accessed 03/05/2019)
- Sam Smtih, 'July Public Debut Planned for XE Off-Road Prototype', (John Dagys Media, LLC., 12/04/2019), https://e-racing365.com/off-road/extreme-e/july-public-debut-planned-for-xe-off-road-prototype/, (Accessed 04/05/2019)
- Jake Kilshaw, 'EXTREME E: Extreme E Base Car Revealed at Goodwood', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 05/07/2019), https://e-racing365.com/off-road/extreme-e/extreme-e-base-car-revealed-at-goodwood/, (Accessed 05/07/2019)
- Alex Kalunauckas, 'Extreme E winner to be kept secret for months', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 16/02/2019), https://www.motorsport.com/extreme-e/news/xe-secret-winner-docu-sport/4338752/, (Accessed 04/05/2019)
- Alex Kalinauckas, 'Extreme E abandons plan to keep winner secret', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 03/05/2019), https://www.motorsport.com/extreme-e/news/extreme-e-abandons-plan-to-keep-winner-secret/4380703/, (Accessed 04/05/2019)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Jake Kilshaw, 'Venturi Commits to Extreme E', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 07/05/2019), https://e-racing365.com/off-road/extreme-e/venturi-commits-to-extreme-e/, (Accessed 07/05/2019)
- Bluhm von Tobias,'ABT Sportsline wird 2. Team in Extreme E', e-formel.de, (eFormel, 10/07/2019), https://www.e-formel.de/kurzmeldungen/abt-sportsline-wird-2-team-in-extreme-e.html, (Accessed 12/07/2019)
- Sam Smith, 'HWA Commits to Extreme E', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 12/07/2019), https://e-racing365.com/off-road/extreme-e/hwa-commit-to-extreme-e/, (Accessed 12/07/2019)
- 'EXTREME EExtreme E Signs Broadcast Deal With FOX Sports', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 05/07/2019), https://e-racing365.com/off-road/extreme-e/extreme-e-signs-broadcast-deal-with-fox-sports/, (Accessed 05/07/2019)
|FIA Formula E|
|FIA Formula E Championship • Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy • Extreme E Championship • Roborace|
|Other FIA Series|
|Formula One • FIA Formula 2 Championship • World Endurance Championship|
|Other Electric Series|
|E TCR • ERA Championship • FIM MotoE World Cup • FIA Electric GT|