|Date of Birth||28 June 1998|
|Date of Death|
FIA Formula 3 European Championship
|Formula E Career|
|Début||2018 Rookie Test|
|Teams||DS Virgin Racing|
Joel Eriksson (born 28 June 1998 in Tomelilla) is a Swedish racing driver who serves as the official reserve driver for GEOX DRAGON during the 2019/20 ABB FIA Formula E Championship. Since 2016, Eriksson has served as a factory driver for BMW, including testing with BMW i Andretti Motorsport.
Coming from a motorsport family, including older brother and touring car driver Jimmy Eriksson, Eriksson began karting in 2007 at the age of nine, taking multiple titles in his native Sweden.
In 2014, Eriksson made his single-seater debut in the ADAC Formel Masters championship with the Motopark team, then competing under the name Lotus. He achieved his maiden win in the reverse grid race at the Red Bull Ring and finished fifth in the overall standings.
The following year, Eriksson reunited with Motopark to contest the now rebranded ADAC Formula 4 championship. Recording seven wins and after a tight battle with HTP Junior Team driver Marvin Dienst, ended the season as championship runner-up.
Formula 3 Firestorm
In 2016, Eriksson graduated to the FIA Formula 3 European Championship whilst retaining his partnership with Motopark. After multiple podiums and rookie wins, he claimed his maiden win at the third race at Spa-Francorchamps on his way to fifth in the standings. Eriksson also partook in the Masters of Formula 3 and Macau Grand Prix events with Motopark, taking victory in the former.
Eriksson returned to the championship the following year, reuniting with Motopark. There he achieved seven wins and finished championship runner-up to future McLaren Formula One driver Lando Norris and ahead of Maximilian Günther.
In 2018, Eriksson returned to the Formula 3 scene to contest the Macau Grand Prix with Motopark, finishing runner-up to teammate Dan Ticktum.
Eriksson also returned to the streets of Macau for the 2019 FIA GT World Cup with BMW-affiliated FIST-Team AAI, finishing seventh.
Formula E History
In January 2018, Eriksson sampled Formula E machinery for the first time in the rookie test at Marrakesh with DS Virgin Racing, setting the third fastest time in the morning session and the ninth fastest time overall.
Full Formula E Record
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Joel Eriksson's career in Formula E in statistical form:
|Joel Eriksson's Formula E Test Record|
|2017/18||DS Virgin Racing||36||DS Virgin DSV-03||Rookie Driver|
|2019/20||GEOX DRAGON||TBA||Penske EV-4||Test/Reserve driver|
Videos and Images:
- Justin Cornelison, 'GEOX DRAGON Announces Joel Eriksson as Test and Reserve Driver', dragonracing.com, (GEOX Dragon, 19/02/2019), https://dragonracing.com/geox-dragon-announces-joel-eriksson-as-test-and-reserve-driver/, (Acessed 19/02/2019)
- 'BMW Motorsport welcomes Joel Eriksson to the BMW family as an additional junior driver.', bmwgroup.com, (BMW Group, 24/06/2016), https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0261394EN/bmw-motorsport-welcomes-joel-eriksson-to-the-bmw-family-as-an-additional-junior-driver?language=en, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Sam Smith, 'Guenther Set to Partner Sims at BMW', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media LLC., 03/00/2019), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/guenther-set-to-partner-sims-at-bmw/, (Accessed 19/02/2019)
- 'Joel Eriksson - CV (ENG)', joelerikssonracing.com, (Joel Eriksson, 12/2017), http://www.joelerikssonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Joel-Eriksson-CV-ENG.pdf, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Valentin Khorounzhiy, 'Joel Eriksson joins Motopark for debut single-seater campaign', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 23/01/2014), http://www.formulascout.com/joel-eriksson-joins-motopark-for-debut-single-seater-campaign/14306, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Valentin Khorounzhiy, 'Joel Eriksson triumphs in reverse-grid Spielberg thriller', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 08/06/2014), http://www.formulascout.com/joel-eriksson-triumphs-in-reverse-grid-spielberg-thriller/18741, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Peter, Allen, 'Joel Eriksson stays with Motopark for ADAC F4', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 09/02/2015), http://www.formulascout.com/joel-eriksson-stays-with-motopark-for-adac-f4/24509, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Gruz David, 'Title rivals Dienst and Eriksson lock out Sachsenring qualifying', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 28/08/2015), http://www.formulascout.com/title-rivals-dienst-and-eriksson-lock-out-sachsenring-qualifying/29974, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Gruz David, 'Dienst wraps up ADAC F4 title in Hockenheim thriller', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 03/10/2015), http://www.formulascout.com/dienst-wraps-up-adac-f4-title-in-hockenheim-thriller/31144, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Gruz David, 'Joel Eriksson moves up to FIA F3 within Motopark’s ranks', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 19/01/2016), http://www.formulascout.com/eriksson-moves-up-to-fia-f3-within-motoparks-ranks/32990, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Jacob Bosley, 'Joel Eriksson takes maiden win in final European F3 race at Spa', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 30/07/2016), http://www.formulascout.com/joel-eriksson-takes-maiden-win-at-the-final-f3-race-at-spa-francorchamps/35194, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- David Addison, 'Masters of Formula 3: Joel Eriksson leads all-Motopark podium', autosport.com, (Haymarket Publishing, 21/08/2016), https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/125790/eriksson-leads-allmotopark-podium-at-masters
- Peter, Allen, 'Joel Eriksson to continue in European F3 with Motopark', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 20/01/2017), http://www.formulascout.com/eriksson-to-continue-in-european-f3-with-motopark/36377, (Accessed 19/02/2019)
- Peter, Allen, 'Gunther wins European F3 finale but Eriksson secures runner-up position', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 15/10/2017), http://www.formulascout.com/gunther-wins-european-f3-finale-but-eriksson-secures-runner-up-position/38413, (Accessed 19/02/2019)
- Elliot Wood, 'Macau GP runner-up Joel Eriksson “not really on it” during restart', formulascout.com, (FormulaScout, 18/11/2018), http://www.formulascout.com/macau-gp-runner-up-joel-eriksson-not-really-on-it-during-restart/46454, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Peter, Allen, 'Joel Eriksson gets BMW DTM drive for 2018', formulascout.com, (Formula Scout, 16/12/2017), http://www.formulascout.com/joel-eriksson-gets-bmw-dtm-drive-for-2018/39415, (Accessed 19/02/2019)
- Marcus Simmons, 'Inspired strategy helps BMW rookie Joel Eriksson to first DTM win', autosport.com, (Haymarket Publishing, 26/08/2018), https://www.autosport.com/dtm/news/138316/inspired-strategy-helps-eriksson-to-victory, (Accessed 19/02/2019)
- Tim Fullbrook, 'Eriksson says DTM race one at Zolder was ‘hardest race of my life’', touringcars.net, (TouringCars.net, 18/05/2019), https://www.touringcars.net/2019/05/eriksson-says-dtm-race-one-at-zolder-was-hardest-race-of-my-life, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- Tamara Aller, 'Joel Eriksson: “I didn’t expect Nico to dive at the last moment”', touringcartimes.com, (Touring Car Times, 06/07/2019), https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019/07/06/joel-eriksson-didnt-expect-nico-dive-last-moment/, (Accessed 19/02/2020)
- 'Joel Eriksson leaves BMW DTM team', joeleriksson.com, (Joel Eriksson, 18/12/2019), http://www.joelerikssonracing.com/joel-eriksson-leaves-bmw-dtm-team/, (Accessed 19/02/2019)
- Gabriel Nica, 'Augusto Farfus and Joel Eriksson to Race BMW M6 GT3 in Macau', bmwblog.com, (BMW Blog, 04/09/2019), https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/09/04/augusto-farfus-and-joel-eriksson-to-race-bmw-m6-gt3-in-macau/, (Accessed 19/02/2019)
- 'Joel Eriksson to test for DS Virgin Racing', fiaformulae.com, (ABB FIA Formula E, 03/01/2018), https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/january/joel-eriksson-to-test-for-ds-virgin-racing/, (Accessed 19/02/2019)
- Scott Mitchell, 'Audi's Muller sets lap record in Formula E rookie test', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 14/01/2018), https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/audi-muller-tops-formula-e-rookie-test-with-new-lap-record-995760/1386673/, (Accessed 19/02/2020)