|Date of Birth||23 June 1996|
|Date of Death|
Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters
|Formula E Career|
|Début||2018 Rookie Test|
Pietro Fittipaldi da Cruz (born 23 June 1996 in Miami, Florida, USA) is a Brazilian racing driver who served as a test driver for the Jaguar Racing team in the FIA Formula E Championship between 2017/18 and 2018/19. A driver in the DTM and Formula One after his two FE outings, Fittipaldi would make two appearances in the annual Rookie Test for the British marque, but would not secure a race seat ahead of the 2019/20 season.
Fittipaldi began his career in karting in both the United States and Brazil, before graduating into the National level NASCAR All-American Series in 2011. The Brazilian youth duly claimed the unofficial title, with four wins, and would remain in the series for 2012, albeit with less success. With that Fittipaldi moved into single-seaters, while also moving across to the opposite side of the Atlantic Ocean to race in the United Kingdom.
Junior Jives: 2013 - 2015
Fittipaldi secured drives in the Protyre Formula Renault Championship and BRDC F4 Championship for 2013, and would collect wins in both in his rookie season. Fittipaldi subsequently claimed the Protyre FR Championship in 2014, claiming ten wins, while also racing in the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0. For 2015, having been granted a seat in the Ferrari Driver Academy Fittipaldi transferred into the FIA Formula 3 European Championship, although he would only score a handful of points finishes en-route to sixteenth.
Expanded Experiences: 2016 - 2020
After winning the 2015-16 MRF Challenge Formula 2000, Fittipaldi moved into the Formula V8 3.5 Series for 2016, finishing tenth. He remained in the Series in 2017, and would impress with six victories and the Championship title, earning him a seat in the IndyCar Series for 2018, as well as the World Endurance Championship. However, his season was overshadowed by a huge accident qualifying for the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, with a heavy crash at Raidillon leaving the Brazilian with fractures and breaks in both legs.
Fittipaldi would recover from his injuries before the end of the season, and subsequently made his Formula One test debut at the season ending Yas Marina test for Haas. He was subsequently signed as their official test and reserve driver for the 2019 season, a deal which was also renewed for 2020. 2019 saw Fittipaldi focus on a rookie season in the DTM, finishing fifteenth in a customer Audi entry, before only serving in his test/reserve role for Haas in F1 in 2020.
Fittipaldi would subsequently make his F1 debut at the end of the 2020 season, replacing the injured Romain Grosjean for the final two rounds of the campaign, finishing 23rd in the championship.
Formula E History
Fittipaldi secured his debut in an FIA Formula E Championship car ahead of the 2018 Rookie Test, when Jaguar Racing offered him a chance to drive for them at the Circuit Moulay El Hassan. Fittipaldi duly set the second fastest time of the test in the afternoon session, recording a 1:20.597, just shy of Jaguar regular Nelson Piquet Jr.'s best effort in qualifying for the 2018 Marrakesh E-Prix. Fittipaldi would subsequently return to test for Jaguar again at the 2019 Rookie Test in Marrakesh, once again using Piquet's car, although his second FE run would see Fittipaldi only record the fifteenth best time.
Fittipaldi was considered to take over the #3 Jaguar car when Piquet quit the Jaguar team ahead of the 2019 Rome E-Prix, although the British marque would opt for their test/reserve driver Alex Lynn to complete the 2018/19 season.
Full Formula E Record
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Pietro Fittipaldi's career in Formula E in statistical form:
|Pietro Fittipaldi's Formula E Test Record|
|2017/18||Panasonic Jaguar Racing||3||Jaguar I-Type II||Test Driver|
|2018/19||Panasonic Jaguar Racing||3||Jaguar I-Type III||Test Driver|
Videos and Images:
- Sam Smith, 'Fittipaldi to Test Jaguar in Marrakesh', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media LLC., 31/12/2018), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/fittipaldi-to-test-jaguar-in-marrakesh/, (Accessed 31/12/2018)
- 'Pietro Fittipaldi', driverdb.com, (Driver Database, 2020), https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/pietro-fittipaldi-da-cruz/, (Accessed 28/05/2020)
- 'Pietro Fittipaldi and others invited to Ferrari Driver Academy', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 22/10/2014), https://www.motorsport.com/openwheel/news/pietro-fittipaldi-and-others-invited-to-ferrari-driver-academy/457839/, (Accessed 28/05/2020)
- 'Iconic name returns to F1 as Pietro Fittipaldi joins Haas as test driver', formula1.com, (Formula One World Championship Limited, 09/11/2018), https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.iconic-name-returns-to-f1-as-pietro-fittipaldi-joins-haas-as-test-driver.1IEoZV5y4EuG2yGgq2u8Qu.html, (Accessed 01/12/2018)
- Sam Smith, 'Pietro Fittipaldi to Test for Jaguar', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media LLC, 12/12/2017), http://e-racing365.com/formula-e/pietro-fittipaldi-to-test-for-jaguar/, (Accessed 14/12/2017)
- Scott Mitchell, 'Audi's Muller sets lap record in Formula E rookie test', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 14/01/2018), https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/audi-muller-tops-formula-e-rookie-test-with-new-lap-record-995760/, (Accessed 15/01/2018)
- Jake Kilshaw, 'Lynn Confirmed as Piquet Replacement', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 28/03/2019), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/lynn-confirmed-as-piquet-replacement/, (Accessed 28/03/2019)