|D.O.B.||6 May 1985|
|Date of Death||Unknown|
|Début||2014 Punta del Este ePrix|
|Teams||Trulli Formula E Team|
|Formula E Career|
|Total Entries||12 (12 Starts)|
Salvador Duran (born 6 May 1985) was a competitor in the 2014/15 FIA Formula E Championship, who drove for Amlin Aguri from the 2014 Punta del Este ePrix through to the end of the season. Duran, a Mexican racer by birth, has experience of racing in single seaters from either side of the Atlantic, and can also claim a victory in the 24 Hours of Daytona among his achievements.
Duran would move to the Trulli Formula E Team at the start of the 2015/16 season, although he would not drive for them competitively after their early season problems. Once Trulli withdrew, Duran rejoined the renamed Team Aguri effort, racing for them until Ma Qing Hua replaced him at the 2016 Long Beach ePrix.
After a short stint in karting, Duran entered the 2003 edition of the Formula Dodge National Series, taking two wins on his way to the runner-up spot in the championship. A move to Europe saw him enter two Formula Renault championships: the Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup and Italian Formula Renault 2.0 series. Eighth in Italy and Eighteenth in Europe, Duran turned his attention to the British Formula 3 Championship for the following season.
British F3 was to be dominated by Salvador in 2005, as he took nine wins en route to the title. He also had a few drives in the Mexican A1 GP team, helping them to two victories that year. This success was not carried into 2006, however, as Duran lost his British F3 crown and failed to win at all that season, prompting the Mexican to move on.
Yet, from the ashes of 2006, Duran had one of his most successful years in 2007, as he took victory in the 24 Hours of Daytona alongside Juan Pablo Montoya and Scott Pruett. He supplemented this with a stint in Formula Renault 3.5 , as well as his A1 GP duties for the next two years, although his success, in either, dried up.
2010 saw Duran return to his native Mexico, entering the NASCAR Mexico championship, although again success was hard to come by. He stayed in the series until 2012, before returning to Europe to compete in Formula Renault.
Formula E History
Duran joined Amlin Aguri in the build up to the 2014 Punta del Este ePrix, held in Uruguay in December 2014. He replaced Katherine Legge in the team, alhough he would not have a particularly impressive debut, finishing sixteenth in his first ePrix. He followed this with a quiet run in Buenos Aires (although he was later disqualified), before claiming his first point at the 2015 Miami ePrix.
Another difficult race in Monaco saw Duran involved in the huge pile-up at the start, meaning he was not classified in the race result, despite finishing. After taking sixteenth in the 2015 Berlin ePrix, having been penalised for being released from his pitstop too early (a fate shared by team mate António Félix da Costa), Duran produced his best result in Moscow, battling in the points for the entire race to take sixth. Duran scored once again in the season ending 2015 London ePrix II to take him to a total of 13 for the season, good enough for 21st in the Championship.
Jarno Trulli would bring Duran into the Trulli Formula E Team during the 2015 Donington Test, with the Mexican set to partner Vitantonio Liuzzi for the upcoming 2015/16 season. Unfortunately, neither of them would get a chance to cover any serious mileage after the car was plagued with problems, a fact that made it impossible for the team to start the season. The team would withdraw their entries at the first two rounds having failed scrutineering, before withdrawing from the Championship completely just before the 2015 Punta del Este ePrix.
Just after the Christmas break, Duran would be announced as a driver for Team Aguri, rejoining his former team after Nathanaël Berthon left them. Duran would retire from his first race of the season, the 2016 Buenos Aires ePrix, before failing to score at the following two rounds. The Mexican's seat was then underthreat as Team Aguri engaged in a take over with Chinese firm SECA, ultimately losing out to Ma Qing Hua who was brought in as part of the deal. Duran stayed with the team as a reserve driver, but did not appear in the series again before the end of the season.
Full Formula E Record
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Salvador Duran's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E Entries
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Salvador Duran during their FE career:
|Salvador Duran's Overall Formula E Record|
|2014/15||Amlin Aguri||77||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||21st||13|
|2015/16||Trulli Formula E Team||18||Motomatica JT-01||22nd||0|
|Team Aguri||77||Spark-Renault SRT_01E|
Below is a table showing Salvador Duran's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- 'Salvador Duran to drive for Amlin Aguri in Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/12/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/december/salvador-duran-to-drive-for-amlin-aguri-in-punta-del-este.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- 'Driver's Club: Salvador Duran', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/drivers-club/salvador-duran.aspx, (Accessed 08/07/2015)
- 'Duran switches to Trulli alongside Liuzzi', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/duran-switches-to-trulli-alongside-liuzzi.aspx, (Accessed 25/08/2015)
- 'Salvador Duran joins Team Aguri', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/01/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/january/salvador-duran-joins-team-aguri.aspx, (Accessed 28/01/2016)
- 'Brilliant Buemi wins in Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/12/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/december/brilliant-buemi-wins-in-punta-del-este.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- 'Poleman Buemi doubles up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/05/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/may/poleman-buemi-doubles-up.aspx, (Accessed 09/05/2015)
- 'Piquet masters Moscow', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/piquet-increases-lead-in-championship-with-moscow-win.aspx, (Accessed 09/06/2015)
- 'Trulli Formula E Team announce withdrawal from championship', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/trulli-announcement.aspx, (Accessed 15/12/2015)
- 'Ma Qing Hua replaces Salvador Duran at Team Aguri', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/ma-qing-hua-replaces-salvador-duran-at-team-aguri/, (Accessed 20/04/2016)