|Formula E Record|
|Début||2015 Beijing ePrix|
|Total Entries||22 (22 Starts)|
|Team(s)||ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport|
|Car||ABT Schaeffler FE01|
Schaeffler Technologies A.G. are a component manufacturer based in Herzogenaurach, Germany. Working together with ABT and German car manufacturer Audi, Schaeffler are credited as the constructor of the ABT Schaeffler FE01, as used by the ABT team in the 2015/16 FIA Formula E Championship.
Originally founded on the 26th of October 1946, the Schaeffler group originally traded as the INA Needle Bearing Company in London and as Schaeffler AG in Germany. Manufacturing bearings and instruments for the air and automotive industries, INA became Schaeffler in 2006, having already expanded into manufacturing components for numerous other industries such as the medical realm. The gradual expansion of the Schaeffler group saw the company move into the new electric car movement, producing a variety of components, including electric motors, with an interest in motorsport through their LUK enterprise.
Formula E History
After initially being identified as the constructor for ABT in the announcement for the 2015/16 season, ABT Schaeffler officially formed as a technical partnership in May 2015. Taking over the construction of the drivetrain for the ABT car, Schaeffler developed an innovative system for their first machine, which went on to flatten the track record at the 2015 Donington Test, using the Spark-Renault SRT_01E as a basis.
Schaeffler replaced Audi as the principle partner of ABT in Formula E, and would use their experience in the WEC and hybrid systems to construct a powertrain for the second season.
ABT Schaeffler FE01
Main Article: ABT Schaeffler FE01
Using the established Spark SRT_01E as a basis, the ABT Schaeffler FE01 would feature Schaeffler's unique drivetrain using three gears. An initial shakedown was successfully completed on the 11th of June, with further running ensuring that the car was reliable before the 2015 Donington Test. Impressive displays at the six day public test saw the FE01 run both reliably and at lap record pace, leaving ABT Schaeffler in a position to do battle with Renault e.Dams for victory. Lucas di Grassi claimed the car's first win at the 2015 Putrajaya ePrix, the second race of the season.
Videos and Images:
- 'Schaeffler Group', wikipedia.org, (WikiMedia, 12/03/2016), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaeffler_Group, (Accessed 22/03/2016)
- 'Company history', schaeffler.com, (Schaeffler AG, 2016), http://www.schaeffler.com/content.schaeffler.com/en/company/history_1/history.jsp, (Accessed 22/03/2016)
- 'Schaeffler becomes technology partner for Abt', motorsport.com, (Motorsport, 22/05/2015), http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/schaeffler-becomes-technology-partner-for-abt/ (Accessed 22/03/2016)
- 'FIA homologates manufacturers for second Formula E season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/fia-homologates-manufacturers-for-second-formula-e-season.aspx, (Accessed 03/08/2015)
- 'Di Grassi lowers Donington lap record', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 18/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/di-grassi-lowers-donington-lap-record.aspx, (Accessed 25/08/2015)
- 'ABT continues development on next year’s car', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/07/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/july/abt-continues-development-on-next-year-s-car.aspx, (Accessed 19/07/2015)
- 'Di Grassi keeps his cool to win in Putrajaya', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/11/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/di-grassi-keeps-his-cool-to-win-in-putrajaya.aspx, (Accessed 22/11/2015)