|Simona de Silvestro|
|File:Simona de Silvestro.png|
|D.O.B.||1 September 1986|
|Date of Death||Unknown|
|Début||2015 London ePrix I|
|Formula E Career|
|Total Entries||12 (12 Starts)|
Simona de Silvestro (born 1 September 1986) is a Swiss racing driver who has previously competed in the FIA Formula E Championship. The third female driver in Formula E history, de Silvestro impressed in her first two races for Andretti Autosport, out-qualifying team mate Jean-Éric Vergne in her second race, although she failed to score in either race.
Nicknamed the "Iron Maiden", de Silvestro established her reputation in the Atlantic Championship in the US in 2008, becoming only the second woman to win a race in the Championship. In 2009, de Silvestro was consistently on the podium, and only lost out on the title after retiring at the last race of the season. An IndyCar test came at the end of the season, with the super Swiss moving into the 2010 edition of the IZOD IndyCar Series.
In four seasons, de Silvestro established herself in IndyCar, although she did not manage to force her way onto the podium. Regardless, she became an affiliated driver to the Sauber F1 Team in 2014, travelling with them throughout the year. Yet, after just one season, de Silvestro was back in IndyCar, opting to compete in the 2015 edition of the series rather then wait for a chance to get a F1 seat.
Formula E History
De Silvestro would have to wait for her first start in Formula E, having got the call from her IndyCar team Andretti Autosport to appear for them at the 2014/15 FIA Formula E Championship season finale in London. She became the third woman to drive in the inaugural season of Formula E, after Katherine Legge and Michela Cerruti started the season, although by the time the season got to the 2015 London ePrix I de Silvestro would be the only woman on the grid. Despite not scoring in her two debut races, de Silvestro proved she could handle the Spark-Renault SRT_01E, impressively out-qualifying team mate Jean-Éric Vergne (something of a qualifying specialist in Formula E) for the Second London ePrix.
Andretti's Leading Lady
Among the first of the drivers confirmed for the 2015/16 campaign, de Silvestro was made the lead driver for Andretti, partnered by Robin Frijns. Unfortunately for de Silvestro, the first races of the new campaign were completed without points, as Andretti were forced to abandon their Season Two technology late in the pre-season, reverting the the SRT_01E.
Indeed, it would take until the 2016 Long Beach ePrix for de Silvestro to finally get on the board, a solid if unspectacular drive seeing her climb into ninth place in the closing stages. Yet, despite becoming the first female racer in Formula E history to score a point, de Silvestro's confidence seemed to disappear in the following Paris ePrix, where she quietly toured round to fifteenth. Fortunately, the 2016 Berlin ePrix would see de Silvestro show her talents again, as the Swiss racer battled into ninth after a race long battle with Frijns.
Sadly, de Silvestro would have little joy in the final two rounds of the season, crashing out in the 2016 London ePrix II amid the battle for the title. Despite her disappointing end to the season, de Silvestro was tipped to return for season three, although other deals were made to see the Swiss racer moved back into Andretti's IndyCar programme to allow António Félix da Costa to take her Formula E seat.
Full Formula E Record
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Simona de Silvestro's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E Entries
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Simona de Silvestro during their FE career:
|Simona de Silvestro's Overall Formula E Record|
|2014/15||Andretti Autosport||28||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||27th||0|
|2015/16||Amlin Andretti Formula E||28||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||18th||4|
Below is a table showing Simona de Silvestro's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- 'De Silvestro to race in Visa London ePrix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/06/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/de-silvestro-to-race-in-london-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 14/06/2015)
- 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- 'Simona de Silvestro', wikipedia.org, (Wikipedia, 08/06/2015), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simona_de_Silvestro, (Accessed 14/06/2015)
- 'Simona de Silvestro signs for Andretti', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/simona-de-silvestro-signs-for-andretti.aspx, (Accessed 11/12/2015)
- 'Di Grassi's Shoreline sensation', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/di-grassi-s-shoreline-sensation/, (Accessed 03/04/2016)
- 'Di Grassi triumphant in Paris', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/di-grassi-wins-visa-paris-eprix/, (Accessed 23/04/2016)
- 'Buemi win cuts di Grassi's lead to just one point', fiaformula.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/buemi-win-cuts-di-grassi-s-lead-to-just-one-point/, (Accessed 21/05/2016)
- 'BUEMI WINS TITLE AFTER SPECTACULAR FINALE: VISA FASTEST LAP ENDS UP DECIDING THE 2015/16 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-wins-title-after-spectacular-finale/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- 'ANTONIO FELIX DA COSTA TO JOIN ANDRETTI FORMULA E: FORMULA E RACE WINNER TO DRIVE ALONGSIDE ROBIN FRIJNS AT ANDRETTI', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/08/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/august/antonio-felix-da-costa-to-join-andretti-formula-e, (Accessed 10/08/2016)